Monday, June 17, 2013

Tough Mudder


David and I survived the Tough Mudder. I say "survived" because there was a death waiver required in order to participate in the event. Leading up to the Mudder, the main question people asked was "Why in the world would you do that?" 

Why would you deliberately swim through ice water, crawl in mud under barbed wire, run and crawl through 10K volts of electricity, or any number of extreme obstacles involved in the Tough Mudder? 

David's answer is that he did it for fun. It simply sounded like an exciting thing to do. Me, I did it for the challenge. I am always interested in overcoming obstacles in life. Placing myself in positions that are challenging help grow my faith. 

I got to thinking about it and came to the conclusion that our life is pretty much like the Tough Mudder. It has not always made sense. There have been many tough obstacles to tackle. Sometimes we've been shocked and knocked on our behinds. Sometimes we've had to crawl through a tunnel with no clear vision of the future. We've filtered the same question of "Why in the world would you have so many children?" It doesn't necessarily make sense to people and it certainly is not easy and free from pain. 

We have simply had to forge ahead and push through knowing that God has a plan. 

Would I do it again? YES!!! 

I would do again especially if I could see David on the very last 5 feet of the race: His feet went flying in the air and he face planted straight in the mud. The shock literally knocked him off his feet. I saw that he was getting back up, so I proceeded to run by him. I figured that there was no sense in me going down as well. The motto of "No Mudder Left Behind" left my mind and I saved myself. Maybe I'll need to evaluate that aspect of my character in the future, but for now it was really funny. He ended with a smile on his face. I hope the organization posts some pictures of that ending. 



No comments:

Post a Comment