Sunday, March 15, 2015

Thank you, Friends

Post from David Sheppard (3rd oldest Sheppard)
_________________________________________________________________________________

I cried today.

This afternoon, I plugged Julia's computer into the TV, connected it to the internet using a dongle, and went to the website Mr. LaTray emailed to Mom to view a live streaming of Grandma's memorial service. The rest of the Sheppards came into the living room and settled into their seats when I called out, "it's starting" and watched the TV making comments about who was attending like how tall Luke was getting and how wonderfully Mahala played the piano. Then the service started and Pastor Cloyse started with a prayer. Help us to cope with the grief that always surrounds the loss of a loved one. Next, he told the history of Grandma's life from her missionary childhood to her long battle with cancer. Both Mom and Aunt Esther gave testimonies on how great Grandma's impact was on their lives. Then Joseph played a slideshow to the song, "I Can Only Imagine". This was the point where I cried.

That slideshow with those pictures was beautiful sorrow and I couldn't contain my tears. Why should I feel this way? Grandma is happier now than she has ever been before and we should all be happy for her! Yet, I couldn't contain a tear as I watched the pictures from Grandma's past flash by and I thought about how wonderful she was. At that moment I was glad we all were able to observe the service from our home in Haiti. Grandma talked about China quite often and her experiences and stories about her father is what led me to study Chinese at college. I was talking with her last August about my plans to move to China as a missionary. She asked which part of China I would go to and how I would get there. She was always interested in the well-being of her family and friends.

Pastor Cloyse, as always, preached brilliantly and we are very thankful to him for that. As he mentioned, Cloyse has been a friend of the family for many years. He was the pastor at the church where Mom and Dad got saved. He performed Mom and Dad's wedding.  He was also the pastor who performed Grandpa's memorial service 10 years ago. We are glad God sent this man in our lives. Since the early 90s Pastor Cloyse has been saying to us, "Trust in God and follow His path". It's always great to be reminded of the love and magnificence of God. Thank you, Cloyse....

After the service and the final prayer, there was relief. Grandma is gone but not forever. We will see her again in heaven and we should be happy she no longer has to imagine what it is like to stand in God's presence. She can now sing Amazing Grace to the Lord of All!

Finally, I'd like to say a big "Thank you" to everyone who attended the funeral. I will try to mention you all by name here but, like Cloyse at the beginning of the service acknowledged about his ability to pronounce names, I must admit my memory and attentiveness isn't good enough to name everyone and therefore ask for your forgiveness if I forget to mention you or spell your name wrong.

Thank you to the Bryants: Aunt Laura, Uncle Jason, Tiffani, Kylee. It was great to see you and please know that you are in our prayers.

Thank you Cooks:  Mrs. Cook, Mahala, and Luke. The music was beautiful and we were glad to see you.

Thank you LaTrays: Mr and Mrs LaTray, Jacob (nice beard), Emily, Hannah, Sarah, and Jessica. The video feed worked wonderfully and your singing was beautiful.

Thank you to: Jennie and Dan Eddy, Uncle Jack, Randy, and Pat Shine.
Thank you: Amelia, Michael, Emily Pryor-Slade, and Aunt Esther.
Thank you to: Aunt Richelle and Uncle Mark, Caleb, Jamie, and Grandpa Ron.
Thank you: the Colvins and the Balls and the Fesslers. You've always been great friends and I'm glad you could be at the memorial.
Thank you: Pat Drake, Mike Bryant, Mariano, Rick,
And Thank You to everyone who is reading this post for your continued support. Please continue to pray for us.
God bless you!

~DWS

No comments:

Post a Comment